1 2
.

Photograph

Jefferson School

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Jefferson School, built on the site of the first cemetery in Janesville.

Date: 1887 ca.

Description: The Kimball and Lowell Hardware Store located on the corner of Franklin and Milwaukee Streets.

Photograph

No. 1 Cotton Mill

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: The No. 1 Cotton Mill. Plank sidewalk in foreground.

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: The Institution for the Education of the Blind where Louisa May Alcott attended school. Writing on the photo reads "Institution for the Education of the Bl...

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Elevated view of the busy streets of Court and Milwaukee. Three prominent buildings in view are: Court Street Methodist Church on the far left (b. 1868), w...

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: View from the south with a railroad in the foreground, river in the middle distance, and Janesville in the background.

Photograph

Little Stone House

Date: 1841 

Description: Photographic print of a sketch of a residential home titled, "Little Stone House."

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: The Janesville City Hospital.

Photograph

The Lappin Block

Date: 1892 ca.

Description: The Lappin block, Ed. Carpenter, proprietor. Businesses on this block include: Bort, Baily & Co., Dry Goods and Carpets; A.F. Hall & Co., "The Reliable Jew...

Date: 1890 

Description: Stereograph of the Rock County Court House.

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Milwaukee Street looking east in Janesville. The Myers House is located at the top of the hill.

Map or Atlas

City Map of Janesville

Date: 1873 

Description: This map shows landownership and acreages, lot and block numbers, roads and railroads, marshes, schools, churches, mills, rural buildings, and quarries. Re...

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: An interior view of the front parlor at 165 N. High Street.

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: Students and adults of the State School for the Blind pose for a group portrait in front of the building.

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: Music recital room at the State School for the Blind with seven rows of seating, a piano and cello. Adorning the front wall is the Latin phrase "Lux Oritur...

Photograph

City Hospital

Date: 1892 ca.

Description: View across street of City Hospital.

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: Elevated view of the town with All Souls Church in the bottom right corner.

Photograph

Main Street

Date: 1893 ca.

Description: Looking northwest from the Methodist Episcopal Church, Main Street, with trolley track running down the center of the street.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: Stereograph of the Rock County Court House.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Exterior of the second Rock County Court House which stood from 1896 to 1955. The Architect was E. Townsend Mix.

1 2

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.