1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Photograph

Brisbois Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois Hotel, built in the early 1860's, and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was later part of Campion High School.

Date: 1848 

Description: The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, with the Mississippi River in the foreground. Although dated 1830, this scene was actually painted by Henry Le...

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: This early 19th century manuscript map of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, shows sections, landownership and acreages, roads, and ferries in the towns of Bridg...

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Date: 1898 

Description: Mrs. Nina Dousman with children and house party guests in the dining room at Villa Louis.

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, depot building, and the Milwaukee & Mississippi Rail Road.

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Date: 1820 

Description: Undated manuscript map. Prairie du Chien.

Book or Pamphlet

Artesian Stock Farm

Date: 1884 

Description: Bird's-eye view drawing of the grounds of Villa Louis, the estate of the fur trading Dousman family. After the death of H. Louis Dousman's mother in 1882,...

Date: 1882 

Description: This map is ink on cardboard and shows the location of military forts over the course of years. Also shown are points of interest, streets, the Mississippi...

Date: 1898 

Description: Group of twelve people, including Nina Dousman, gathered around a table outdoors, with a fountain spouting water in the background. Four people play cards...

Date: 1887 

Description: St. Gabriel's Roman Catholic Church.

Date: 1878 

Description: The bottom right corner of a map of Crawford County. This portion of the map includes town directories and illustrations of the Court House in Prairie Du C...

Photograph

Bay State House

Date: 1895 

Description: View down road with three houses and a barbershop lining the street. A lamp post is on the left of the image.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Date: 1856 

Description: This map is ink and color on paper and mounted on cloth. The map shows lot and block numbers, streets, a railroad, and the Kickapoo River. Some lots are c...

Date: 1825 

Description: Hand-colored lithograph portrait of Chippewa (Ojibwa) chief Kitch-ee-i-aa-ba, or the Big Buck. Painted at the Treaty of Prarie du Chien (1825).

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, the Mississippi River, Fort Crawford, depot ground, and a graveyard. An old fort location is outlined in re...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.