1 2 3 4 5
.

Photograph

Bay State House

Date: 1895 

Description: View down road with three houses and a barbershop lining the street. A lamp post is on the left of the image.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1817 

Description: Forth Crawford (1816-1831).

Date: 1859 

Description: Steam-powered car designed to run on ice across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The LADY FRANKLIN made one successful trip across, but wa...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the original site, 1816-1831).

Date: 1872 

Description: Alleged to be the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereoview looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date: 1880 

Description: Artesian Well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta). It was dubbed by some to be the "Grea...

Date: 1823 

Description: British evacuation of their fort at Prairie du Chien after the end of the War of 1812. Fort Shelby, the first fort at Prairie du Chien, was built in 1814 b...

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery. Photograph made before restoration by the United States Government. Soldiers' families were also buried in the cemetery.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: This is a plat map of "Wauzeeka" drawn in pencil. The map shows numbered lots, labeled streets, the Kickapoo River, and railroads. The map reads: "Laid out...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereograph of an artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta). Construction was com...

Date: 1873 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over both channels of the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, and McGregor, Iowa. East draw, 396...

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.