1 2 3 4 5
.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (the second site and buildings of 1829-?).

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Date: 1820 

Description: This map displays the plan for claiming various settlement zones in the Prairie des Chiens area in 1820. It shows Fort Crawford and 87 confirmed and unconf...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the original site, 1816-1831).

Map or Atlas

Crawford County Map

Date: 1878 

Description: Illustrated map of Crawford County. On the bottom right is an inset of a group of people near a train on a railroad track.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: This map is ink, color, and pencil on paper and shows streets, farm lots, and a church. Hand written notes appear at the bottom of the map and are very li...

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map is ink and watercolor on paper and includes certifications inscribed by Saml. T. [M?]ight, a civil engineer, Edward H. Brodhead, James H. Lockwood...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 ca.

Description: Fort Shelby, built by the Americans during the War of 1812. In 1814 the fort surrendered to British forces led by Captain Andrew W. Bulger who renamed it...

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Elevated view of the Kickapoo & Northern Railway locomotive and cars seen here after being derailed due to flooding on the Kickapoo River.

Date: 1823 

Description: British evacuation of their fort at Prairie du Chien after the end of the War of 1812. Fort Shelby, the first fort at Prairie du Chien, was built in 1814 b...

Date: 1872 

Description: Alleged to be the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Photograph

Bay State House

Date: 1895 

Description: View down road with three houses and a barbershop lining the street. A lamp post is on the left of the image.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1849-01-09 

Description: Shows county line boundaries, rivers, and falls. Includes explanation of township and county divisions. Pen and pencil on paper. Title supplied by catalog...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.