1 2 3 4 5
.

Date: 1854-12-05 

Description: This plat map shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, and an old fort. The left margin reads: "Part of the Main Village of Prai...

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the back of...

Date: 1857 

Description: This map shows lots and streets and includes pencil manuscript notations on the front and certification statements on the reverse. The top left margin rea...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: A view of the interior of St. Gabriel's Church.

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: This map is ink, color, and pencil on paper and shows streets, farm lots, and a church. Hand written notes appear at the bottom of the map and are very li...

Date: 1873 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over both channels of the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, and McGregor, Iowa. East draw, 396...

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Map or Atlas

Crawford County Map

Date: 1878 

Description: Illustrated map of Crawford County. On the bottom right is an inset of a group of people near a train on a railroad track.

Photograph

Tower Foundation

Date: 1898 

Description: View from water tower, showing the grove where Black Hawk's pursuers were supposed to have camped in 1832. The group of men are digging foundations for a...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 ca.

Description: Fort Shelby, built by the Americans during the War of 1812. In 1814 the fort surrendered to British forces led by Captain Andrew W. Bulger who renamed it...

Date: 1820 

Description: Undated manuscript map. Prairie du Chien.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (the second site and buildings of 1829-?).

Date: 1851-08-11 

Description: Photograph of the death notice of Daniel G. Fenton, a Judge of the County Court, published by the Members of the Bar of Crawford County.

Photograph

Bay State House

Date: 1895 

Description: View down road with three houses and a barbershop lining the street. A lamp post is on the left of the image.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the original site, 1816-1831).

Book or Pamphlet

Artesian Stock Farm

Date: 1884 

Description: Bird's-eye view drawing of the grounds of Villa Louis, the estate of the fur trading Dousman family. After the death of H. Louis Dousman's mother in 1882,...

Date: 1828 ca.

Description: This plat map is pen-and-ink and shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, Fort Crawford, the town commons, and the Village of St....

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1864 

Description: Fort Crawford was decommissioned in 1856, having outlived its usefulness as a frontier post. During the Civil War, however, it functioned as a military ho...

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, depot building, and the Milwaukee & Mississippi Rail Road.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.