1 2 3 4
.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

Date: 1825-09 

Description: Handcolored lithograph depicting the 1825 Treaty at Prairie du Chien, with Fort Crawford seen in the background. This treaty negotiated between Governor Wi...

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The old Indian agent's house.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Photograph

John Muir

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Portrait of John Muir (1838-1914), taken about 1875.

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Date: 1880 

Description: Artesian Well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta). It was dubbed by some to be the "Grea...

Map or Atlas

Railroad Plan

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Railroad plan of Prairie du Chien.

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Stereograph of artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta).

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (the second site and buildings of 1829-?).

Date: 1851-08-11 

Description: Photograph of the death notice of Daniel G. Fenton, a Judge of the County Court, published by the Members of the Bar of Crawford County.

Photograph

Vedder House

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The Cornelia Vedder house. Described as the house "where George Winnie, a conductor on the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railroad, stayed at the end of hi...

Date: 1864 ca.

Description: Lawler Hall at Campion College. This image was made during the Civil War when the building was used as a U.S. Military hospital. Prior to the war, it was B...

Date: 1898 

Description: Group of twelve people, including Nina Dousman, gathered around a table outdoors, with a fountain spouting water in the background. Four people play cards...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

Photograph

Villa Louis Porch

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: The Dousman family and friends on the east porch of Villa Louis.

1 2 3 4

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.