1 2 3 4 5
.

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereoview looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: A view of the interior of St. Gabriel's Church.

Date: 1836 

Description: Drawing of Prairie du Chien in 1836. "From an old cut."

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Map or Atlas

Prairie du Chien

Date: 1838 

Description: This map is a development plat that shows street names, numbered blocks and lots, and small farm lot owners. Included on the right of the map is a large a...

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery, as seen before it was restored by the United States Government.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

Photograph

Dousman Warehouse

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Dousman Warehouse, East Water Street. Originally located on the wharf parallel with the river. Built 1839, and occupied by Dousman until about 1855.

Map or Atlas

Fort Crawford

Date: 1821 

Description: A topographical view of the site of Fort Crawford.

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Date: 1848 

Description: The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, with the Mississippi River in the foreground. Although dated 1830, this scene was actually painted by Henry Le...

Date: 1851-08-11 

Description: Photograph of the death notice of Daniel G. Fenton, a Judge of the County Court, published by the Members of the Bar of Crawford County.

Book or Pamphlet

Artesian Stock Farm

Date: 1884 

Description: Bird's-eye view drawing of the grounds of Villa Louis, the estate of the fur trading Dousman family. After the death of H. Louis Dousman's mother in 1882,...

Date: 1898 

Description: Mrs. Nina Dousman with children and house party guests in the dining room at Villa Louis.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Photograph

View from Bluffs

Date: 1893 

Description: View from the bluffs in or near McGregor, Iowa.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.