1 2 3
.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Date: 1898 

Description: Dousman family entertaining house guests on the lawn at Villa Louis. A table and chairs are set up on the grass and several of the group are holding baseba...

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Hospital.

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view from lawn of the stone facade of St. Mary Academy. The arched main entrance is partially visible behind trees on left. A bell tower sits in the midd...

Photograph

Villa Louis Porch

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: The Dousman family and friends on the east porch of Villa Louis.

Photograph

Pile-Pontoon Bridge

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Date: 1880 

Description: Artesian Well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta). It was dubbed by some to be the "Grea...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 ca.

Description: Fort Shelby, built by the Americans during the War of 1812. In 1814 the fort surrendered to British forces led by Captain Andrew W. Bulger who renamed it...

Date: 1864 

Description: Union troops at Lawler Hall which was used as a U.S. military hospital during the Civil War. Originally built as the Brisbois Hotel in 1857, it was given f...

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

Date: 1898 

Description: Dousman family and house party guests playing billiards at Villa Louis. A lamp hangs over the table and prints are displayed on the walls. A display cabine...

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of North Campus at St. Mary Academy taken from a brick walkway. A few structures are visible in the background, and a bench stands near the path.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1873 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over both channels of the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, and McGregor, Iowa. East draw, 396...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereograph looking northeast from Case's Block.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1864 

Description: Fort Crawford was decommissioned in 1856, having outlived its usefulness as a frontier post. During the Civil War, however, it functioned as a military ho...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: A view of the interior of St. Gabriel's Church.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

1 2 3

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.