1 2 3 4
.

Date: 1836 

Description: Drawing of Prairie du Chien in 1836. "From an old cut."

Date: 1872 

Description: Alleged to be the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Date: 1858 

Description: This map shows streets, lots, and landownership. Also included are notations in pencil and blue colored pencil. Some lots are colored in blue, green, or...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: One-half stereoview of town, looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date: 1864 

Description: Union troops at Lawler Hall which was used as a U.S. military hospital during the Civil War. Originally built as the Brisbois Hotel in 1857, it was given f...

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Map or Atlas

Railroad Plan

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Railroad plan of Prairie du Chien.

Date: 1855 

Description: This map shows streets and lots. The right side of the map includes notes on widths of streets and certifications. The top right reads: "Parish's Additio...

Date: 1854-12-05 

Description: This plat map shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, and an old fort. The left margin reads: "Part of the Main Village of Prai...

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Astor Company or Brisbois fur trading post.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereoview looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Date: 1880 after

Description: A view of Sacred Heart College and the surrounding landscape. Each dormer window has a cross on its peak and the center of the building has a bell tower.

Date: 1828 ca.

Description: This plat map is pen-and-ink and shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, Fort Crawford, the town commons, and the Village of St....

Date: 1857 

Description: This map shows lots and streets and includes pencil manuscript notations on the front and certification statements on the reverse. The top left margin rea...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (the second site and buildings of 1829-?).

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

1 2 3 4

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.