1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A copy of the portrait painting of Elizabeth Paddy Winsley, who was of Plymouth, Massachusetts Colony ancestry. Elizabeth was marred to John Wensley, a ver...

Date: 1956 

Description: Cover for the 1956 Wisconsin Friends of Our Native Landscape program. Depicted are some white flowers with green leaves, a lake, and some birds flying in t...

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center....The third, another rural river scene, whose composit...

Date: 1948 

Description: Prior to the 1948 State Fair, artist Robert Hodgell traveled Wisconsin to study its many landscapes. He then produced a series of study sketches outlining...

Date: 1960 

Description: Portrait of Ruth DeYoung Kohler.

Date: 1913 

Description: Children playing in a sand box, or "sand garden" at the Woodlawn School garden. American flags are planted in the sand and a teacher or older child is hold...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: John H. Knight house, 28 East Gilman Street, built by Napoleon B. Van Slyke in 1858. Later owned by Knight, then Dr. George Keenan.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Reverend F.F. Ford house, at 1033 Spaight Street, was built by Mr. Harris prior to 1875 when it was purchased by Storer.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Jairus Cassius Fairchild, the first mayor of Madison, built this house in 1850 at 302 South Wisconsin Avenue (renamed Monona Avenue in 1877) at West Wilson...

Date: 1842 ca.

Description: American Fur Company with both Mission churches. Sketch purportedly by a Native American youth. Probably an overpainted photographic copy enlargement. Pape...

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: Holzlhuber boarded the 'Plymouth', a high, narrow steamboat that was built specially for navigating the narrow and sometimes overgrown Fox River. The steam...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A town scene featuring the blacksmith shop and horses.

Painting

Farm Painting

Date:  date unknown

Description: Farm painting of the Pierson Young residence.

Date: 1859-07-29 ca.

Description: Forests in the north were often plagued with fires during the summer months, and Holzlhuber (on a return journey from Niagara Falls), passed through one. I...

Painting

Garnhart House

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house at 424 North Pinckney Street was built by Samuel H. Donnell in 1857-1858. Donnell was one of the architects for the former Capitol, and the house...

Date: 1823 

Description: British evacuation of their fort at Prairie du Chien after the end of the War of 1812. Fort Shelby, the first fort at Prairie du Chien, was built in 1814 b...

Painting

The County Fair

Date:  date unknown

Description: Painting of a county fair, depicting a grandstand, harnass racing, a ferris wheel and merry-go-round typical of the event. The fair gave farmers an opportu...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The George Storer house, 104 East Gilman Street, built in 1855 by John E. Kendall.

Painting

Elmside

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Elmside was built by Peter Van Bergen, a prominent builder of the 1840's, at 302 South Mills Street. The house was later owned by Dr. J.B. Bowen.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.