1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Painting

Livesey House

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Livesey house located at 719 E. Gorham Street.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Benjamin Franklin Hopkins house, 142 East Gilman Street, built by Hopkins about 1850. The house was later owned by Dr. William Jacobs. The square bay...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The David Atwood house, located at 204 Monona Avenue on the corner of Doty Street.

Date: 1858 

Description: A depiction of groups of people viewing a panorama of landscapes on red walls in a large room, some seated at round tables. This sketch accompanies an Aust...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Painting

Marston House

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Marston house, located at 524 North Henry Street, was built in 1851 in the Greek revival style for Jeremiah T. Marston, who operated a store on State S...

Painting

Steam Power

Date:  date unknown

Description: A harvest scene in which an old-fashioned steam-powered tractor is hooked up to a threshing machine. There is a pile of coal next to the tractor and a tank...

Date: 1842 ca.

Description: American Fur Company with both Mission churches. Sketch purportedly by a Native American youth. Probably an overpainted photographic copy enlargement. Pape...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Governor C.C. Washburn house was built in the 1850's and purchased by Samuel H. Marshall before completion, then by Mr. Ashmead of Philadelphia. Washbu...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: View from the second story of the Salesianum, the residence of Dr. Salzmann. The view includes Lake Michigan, the Milwaukee shoreline, and some of the nume...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Andrew Proudfit house located at 113 West Washington Avenue.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A horse-drawn wagons, also known as milk buggies, drop off cans of milk at the country cheese factory during summer.

Painting

The County Fair

Date:  date unknown

Description: Painting of a county fair, depicting a grandstand, harnass racing, a ferris wheel and merry-go-round typical of the event. The fair gave farmers an opportu...

Date: 1859-12-02 ca.

Description: Business with Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper in New York took H√∂lzlhuber east where he also visited Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington. H...

Painting

City Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: City Hall, located at 2 W. MIfflin Street, was built from 1856-1858. The architect was August Kutzbock.

Painting

Leitch House

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Leitch house located at 752 E. Gorham Street.

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: A Catholic seminary since 1854, built by Dr. Salzmann, a Catholic missionary from Munzbach in upper Austria. A two-hour walk from the city of Milwaukee, it...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Napoleon B. Van Slyke house located at 510 N. Carroll Street. The house was built for Van Slyke by A. Kutzbock about 1868.

Date: 1917 before

Description: Watercolor, painted by Max Otto, of Main Hall (later renamed Bascom Hall) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The watercolor predates the 1917 fire tha...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.