1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1953 ca.

Description: Portrait of Milo Milton Quaife (1880-1959), serving as director and editor from 1914 to 1920.

Date:  

Description: Left panel of the Wisconsin History Centennial mural by William A. McCloy. Assuming a prominent place is Robert M. La Follette, Sr. He is standing in fro...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Exterior view of large brick building (cooperative store) with three open arches on the porch area, and arched windows. There is a house near a bluff in th...

Painting

City Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: City Hall, located at 2 W. MIfflin Street, was built from 1856-1858. The architect was August Kutzbock.

Date: 1917 before

Description: Watercolor, painted by Max Otto, of Main Hall (later renamed Bascom Hall) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The watercolor predates the 1917 fire tha...

Date: 1856-06-20 ca.

Description: View from the depot of the Lakeshore Railroad to East Water Street. Holzlhuber travelled to Milwaukee to visit a family he knew from his teachings in Vienn...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The George Storer house, 104 East Gilman Street, built in 1855 by John E. Kendall.

Date:  date unknown

Description: Townspeople fleeing the Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.

Date: 1960 

Description: Cover for the 1960 Wisconsin Friends of Our Native Landscape program. Depicted are some vibrant purple flowers, with a lake in the background. The Wisconsi...

Painting

Bascom Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Bascom Hall (formerly Main Hall) on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, as it looked in 1859 when built.

Date: 1860 

Description: View of St. John's Catherdral with the original tower.

Painting

South Hall

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: South Hall, University of Wisconsin-Madison, designed by John F. Rague, and built in 1855 as the second University building. It was used initially for gene...

Date:  date unknown

Description: A horse-drawn wagons, also known as milk buggies, drop off cans of milk at the country cheese factory during summer.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Judge James C. Hopkins house built in 1850 at 134 West Wilson Street.

Painting

Portage Painting

Date: 1856 

Description: "After painting a number of Fox River scenes, "the artists continued their way to Fond du Lac, at the south end of Lake Winnebago, where they found some mo...

Painting

Maple Sugaring

Date:  date unknown

Description: Two men work at running sap from maple trees. Buckets hang beneath the sap spouts or "spiles" inserted into holes drilled in the trees. A team of horses pu...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Benjamin Franklin Hopkins house, 142 East Gilman Street, built by Hopkins about 1850. The house was later owned by Dr. Williams Jacobs. The square bay...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Oscar D. Brandenburg house, 22 Langdon Street. Later the Theta Delta Chi fraternity house. Razed and replaced in 1972 by the Langdon Apartments. Oscar...

Date: 1859-11 ca.

Description: From Holzlhuber's journal: "In November 1859, I went from St. Louis on the steamer 'Planet', a stately ship which offered every conceivable comfort; we we...

Painting

A Farm Auction

Date:  date unknown

Description: An auctioneer, a clerk, and a helper stand on a stage on a farm conducting an auction as potential bidders surround them. Farming equipment and other items...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.