1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Seifert's watercolor is fairly large, measuring 27" wide by 21" high, and provides a detailed depiction of a nineteenth century Wisconsin farm. The small s...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Benjamin Franklin Hopkins house, 142 East Gilman Street, built by Hopkins about 1850. The house was later owned by Dr. William Jacobs. The square bay...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Watercolor painting depicting Lyman Draper, first Secretary of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, surrounded by volumes of his collections and look...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: Holzlhuber describes this farm in his journal: "This farm is situated in the midst of fertile soil which had already been cultivated for several miles far...

Date: 1917 before

Description: Watercolor, painted by Max Otto, of Main Hall (later renamed Bascom Hall) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The watercolor predates the 1917 fire tha...

Painting

Marston House

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Marston house, located at 524 North Henry Street, was built in 1851 in the Greek revival style for Jeremiah T. Marston, who operated a store on State S...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The George Storer house, 104 East Gilman Street, built in 1855 by John E. Kendall.

Date: 1860 

Description: View of St. John's Catherdral with the original tower.

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: Hugo Ballin's "Spirit of Labor" mural from the Wisconsin State Capitol building.

Date: 1859-12-02 ca.

Description: In Holzlhuber's travels in the eastern United States he was particularly taken with Harper's Ferry--the location of the revolution organized by John Brown...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date: 1948 

Description: Prior to the 1948 State Fair, artist Robert Hodgell traveled Wisconsin to study its many landscapes. He then produced a series of study sketches outlining...

Date: 1948 

Description: Cover for the 1948 Wisconsin Friends of Our Native Landscape program. Depicted is a sketch of a tree, a fence, and a small town by a lake. The Wisconsin Fr...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Lucien Stanley Hanks house, located at 216 Langdon Street, was built in 1877.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Judge James C. Hopkins house built in 1850 at 134 West Wilson Street.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A horse-drawn wagons, also known as milk buggies, drop off cans of milk at the country cheese factory during summer.

Date: 1856-06-20 ca.

Description: View from the depot of the Lakeshore Railroad to East Water Street. Holzlhuber travelled to Milwaukee to visit a family he knew from his teachings in Vienn...

Painting

Corn Shredding

Date:  date unknown

Description: Two farm workers in the righthand foreground toss a corn bundle up to the horsedrawn corn shredding machine to be shredded. To the left, a man loads feed c...

Date: 1953 ca.

Description: Portrait of Milo Milton Quaife (1880-1959), serving as director and editor from 1914 to 1920.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.