1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10
.

Map or Atlas

Dane County Courthouse

Date: 1889 

Description: Dane County Courthouse, begun in the fall of 1883 and finished in the spring of 1886. The cost, including equipment, was a little over $180,000.

Photograph

Stake Driving Crew

Date: 1898-05-31 ca.

Description: The stake driving crew for the Sells Bros. & Forepaugh Circus. A group of men drive several stakes into the ground.

Date: 1898 

Description: The James Duane Doty residence on Doty Street (formerly Clymer Street), the first "Executive Mansion" in Madison, occupied in 1841-1844 by the Territorial...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: Horse-drawn fire wagon in front of several brick buildings, including the Capitol Publishing building, near the water tower. The man driving the wagon may...

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: The third Wisconsin Capitol (the second in Madison) as it appeared shortly after the construction was completed.

Date: 1894-05 ca.

Description: The Charles E. Brown house at the corner of South Carroll and Doty Streets.

Photograph

Mapleside Home

Date: 1878 ca.

Description: Mapleside, the home built by Able Dunning in 1853 on what is now University Avenue. It was razed in 1970 to make way for a Burger King restaurant.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: The Tabernacle and attendees at the Monona Lake Assembly. The assembly, Madison's annual Chautauqua, was held on the site of the present-day Olin Park.

Date: 1860 

Description: Floor plan and seating chart for the Assembly for their first meeting in the East Wing of new Wisconsin State Capitol building. After the completion of th...

Date: 1879 ca.

Description: Advertisement for the 1879 Wisconsin State Fair held at Camp Randall in Madison. The poster features a drawing of a hot air balloon and boasts of special...

Date: 1885-08-28 

Description: Sketch of the shack from which Benedict Goldenberger sold cider vinegar. Possibly on Murray Street.

Photograph

Mapleside Home

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Mapleside, the home built by Able Dunning in 1853 on what is now University Avenue. It was razed in 1970 to make way for a Burger King restaurant.

Photograph

Bascom Hall

Date: 1899 ca.

Description: Exterior of west facade of Bascom Hall (formerly Main Hall) from hill on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. There is a tree-lined drive on the rig...

Photograph

The Artist

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Issued as a stereograph on green mount entitled "The Artist." Two men stand by a wagon on which is written "A.L. Dahl Landscape Photographer." The flag on...

Date: 1896 

Description: A portion of John B. Heim's map of the Water Works System of Madison showing the size of the third Wisconsin Capitol (228' x 226') in comparison with the C...

Photograph

Bascom Hall

Date: 1893 

Description: Elevated view from North Hall of main entrance to Bascom Hall (formerly Main Hall) on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus.

Photograph

Levi Vilas House

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Levi B. Vilas house, built in 1852 at the corner of 521 North Henry and Langdon Streets, as it appeared before remodeling.

Date: 1864-02-04 

Description: Embossed invitation to the fourth masquerade ball of the Madison Fire Engine Company #2. The invitation depicts a fire fighter on a ladder carrying a woman...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Washburn Observatory on the University on Wisconsin-Madison campus, with pedestrians on the surrounding grounds.

Date: 1862 

Description: A composite photograph of the members of the Wisconsin State Assembly.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.