1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: House built by Julius T. Clark in 1859, which in 1878 became the home of William F. Vilas.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house built by James McBride at 200 Farwell Drive. The house was later owned by Halle Steensland, Samuel H. Marshall, and Robert M. La Follette.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The George Storer house, 104 East Gilman Street, built in 1855 by John E. Kendall.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Jairus Cassius Fairchild, the first mayor of Madison, built this house in 1850 at 302 South Wisconsin Avenue (renamed Monona Avenue in 1877) at West Wilson...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Judge James C. Hopkins house built in 1850 at 134 West Wilson Street.

Date: 1856 ca.

Description: On June 20, 1856 Hölzlhuber took a two-wheeled horse cart from the Lake Shore Railroad depot in Milwaukee to East Water Street and the home of his hosts, t...

Date: 1948 

Description: Prior to the 1948 State Fair, artist Robert Hodgell traveled Wisconsin to study its many landscapes. He then produced a series of study sketches outlining...

Date: 1856 ca.

Description: View of Manitowoc from the North side.

Painting

Lake Monona

Date:  date unknown

Description: Watercolor painting of Lake Monona from asylum grounds or Governor's Island. On the far shoreline is Madison and the Wisconsin State Capitol.

Painting

Elmside

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Elmside was built by Peter Van Bergen, a prominent builder of the 1840's, at 302 South Mills Street. The house was later owned by Dr. J.B. Bowen.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The John A. Johnson house, located at 316 Wisconsin Avenue, was probably built by John Gripper who lived there in 1868. The house was purchased by Johnson...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Morris E. Fuller House located at 423 North Pinckney Street, built by Napolean B. Van Slyke about 1865. The house was later owned by Fuller and Robert...

Date: 1952 

Description: Watercolor painting of a Wolff-Kubly & Hirsig building (the site of the current Wisconsin Historical Museum) under construction.

Date: 1857 ca.

Description: A distant, elevated view of the city of Milwaukee and its shoreline. During the hot summer months, Hölzlhuber, took excursions on the water, many times bri...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Townspeople fleeing the Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A town scene featuring the blacksmith shop and horses.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: This Italianate sandstone house was built in 1856 by Julius T. White at 130 East Gilman Street. The house was later owned by J.G. Thorp, whose daughter mar...

Date: 1860-04 ca.

Description: Accompanying this sketch is Hölzlhuber's description of his last foray from Milwaukee before leaving America. "Before my return to Europe, D. Brandis, the...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Lansing Hoyt house at 221 Monona Avenue was built in 1873 by Hoyt.

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center . . . [One of them] is Little Chute, one of the pleasan...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.