1 2 3 4 5 6 7
.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Levi B. Vilas built this house in 1853 at 521 North Henry Street on the corner of Langdon Street.

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: Beginning at Odanah just south of Lake Superior, H√∂lzlhuber and several fur trappers used an Indian trail to travel upstream through extensive wild forest....

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: House built by Julius T. Clark in 1859, which in 1878 became the home of William F. Vilas.

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center....The third, another rural river scene, whose composit...

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: The fertillity of the soil in America and Canada, especially in Wisconsin, was the attraction for most European immigrants. The vast amount of land and the...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house built by James McBride at 200 Farwell Drive. The house was later owned by Halle Steensland, Samuel H. Marshall, and Robert M. La Follette.

Painting

Iometah

Date: 1858 

Description: Portrait of Iometah.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Willett S. Main house, located at 511 North Carroll Street, was built in 1858.

Date: 1859 ca.

Description: Due to rainy weather, H√∂lzlhuber stayed a night in the home of Heinrich Cordes, who had purchased his land from an Irishman and built "a pretty brick house...

Painting

Leitch House

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Leitch house located at 752 E. Gorham Street.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Jairus Cassius Fairchild, the first mayor of Madison, built this house in 1850 at 302 South Wisconsin Avenue (renamed Monona Avenue in 1877) at West Wilson...

Date: 1862-05 

Description: Topeka, Kansas, when the 12th Wisconsin Volunteers came marching through the town on their way to Fort Riley, May 1863. Watercolor by John Gaddis of E Com...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: John H. Knight house, 28 East Gilman Street, built by Napoleon B. Van Slyke in 1858. Later owned by Knight, then Dr. George Keenan.

Painting

Haying Time

Date:  date unknown

Description: A farm boy is riding the "hay-fork horse" as the farmer is loading hay into the barn during haying time in July.

Date: 1937 

Description: Boyhood home of Hamlin Garland.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The John A. Johnson house, located at 316 Wisconsin Avenue, was probably built by John Gripper who lived there in 1868. The house was purchased by Johnson...

Painting

Elmside

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Elmside was built by Peter Van Bergen, a prominent builder of the 1840's, at 302 South Mills Street. The house was later owned by Dr. J.B. Bowen.

Painting

Portage Painting

Date: 1856 

Description: "After painting a number of Fox River scenes, "the artists continued their way to Fond du Lac, at the south end of Lake Winnebago, where they found some mo...

Painting

Garnhart House

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house at 424 North Pinckney Street was built by Samuel H. Donnell in 1857-1858. Donnell was one of the architects for the former Capitol, and the house...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.