1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: House built by Julius T. Clark in 1859, which in 1878 became the home of William F. Vilas.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house built by James McBride at 200 Farwell Drive. The house was later owned by Halle Steensland, Samuel H. Marshall, and Robert M. La Follette.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Levi B. Vilas house at 521 North Henry Street after the porch and steps were remodeled by Arthur O. Fox, brother of Mrs. William F. Vilas, who purchase...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Jairus Cassius Fairchild, the first mayor of Madison, built this house in 1850 at 302 South Wisconsin Avenue (renamed Monona Avenue in 1877) at West Wilson...

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center....The third, another rural river scene, whose composit...

Date: 1858-08 ca.

Description: The farm of Jack Smith, an Irishman who immigrated to Canada with his wife and three sons. There they worked to cultivate a huge complex of land.

Date: 1856 

Description: "....The first in their series was not an 'improvement' but a view of the Green Bay settlement, looking downstream. From a simulated rustic fence corner fo...

Painting

Stoner House

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Stoner house, located at 321 South Hamilton Street.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The John A. Johnson house, located at 316 Wisconsin Avenue, was probably built by John Gripper who lived there in 1868. The house was purchased by Johnson...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Governor C.C. Washburn house was built in the 1850's and purchased by Samuel H. Marshall before completion, then by Mr. Ashmead of Philadelphia. Washbu...

Painting

Elmside

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Elmside was built by Peter Van Bergen, a prominent builder of the 1840's, at 302 South Mills Street. The house was later owned by Dr. J.B. Bowen.

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: On an old Indian trail through extensive virgin forest from Lake Superior, Holzlhuber and several other trappers traveled upstream and came across the farm...

Painting

Silo Filling

Date:  date unknown

Description: Farmers work cooperatively with their horse teams on silo-filling activities early in autumn. Rows of green forage are created in the fields and carried to...

Date: 1881 

Description: Watercolor painting of farm and farmhouse, residence of Mr. Daniel Lewis.

Date: 1856 

Description: "At the Grand Kakalin where the river runs almost directly eastward, Brookes and Stevenson paused to paint two scenes. One was a broad landscape showing th...

Painting

Bashford House

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Bashford house located at 423 North Pinckney Avenue.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: John H. Knight house, 28 East Gilman Street, built by Napoleon B. Van Slyke in 1858. Later owned by Knight, then Dr. George Keenan.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Napoleon B. Van Slyke house located at 510 N. Carroll Street. The house was built for Van Slyke by A. Kutzbock about 1868.

Painting

Corn Shredding

Date:  date unknown

Description: Two farm workers in the righthand foreground toss a corn bundle up to the horsedrawn corn shredding machine to be shredded. To the left, a man loads feed c...

Painting

Iometah

Date: 1858 

Description: Portrait of Iometah.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.