1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
.

Date: 1938 

Description: Interior, St. Gabriel's Church.

Postcard

High School

Date: 1906 ca.

Description: High School built in 1896. George Fairfield, President of the Board of Education.

Date: 1901 ca.

Description: The offices of the American Fur Company.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1979 ca.

Description: Villa Louis, home of Hercules Dousman.

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: View seen from Brisbois Bluff.

Photograph

Galtier Tomb

Date: 1925 ca.

Description: Galtier tomb, burial place of Father Lucien Galtier who was chaplain of the parish from 1847 to 1866.

Postcard

Black Hawk Tree

Date: 1915 ca.

Description: Black Hawk Tree in Prairie du Chien Wisconsin. It was rumored that Chief Black Hawk hid within this tree to escape soldiers from Fort Crawford.

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: Marquette monument, in memory of the discovery of the Mississippi River by Father Marquette and Louis Joliet, June 17, 1673. The monument was unveiled on S...

Date: 1901 ca.

Description: A view of the offices of the American Fur Company.

Photograph

College

Date: 1922 ca.

Description: View of St. Mary's Institute in 1872, and a view of St. Mary's College in 1922.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1960 ca.

Description: Aerial view of Villa Louis on the Mississippi River, and adjacent buildings.

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Former building of the Astor Company, also known as the Brisbois Fur Trading Post. At the time this photograph was taken, the structure was occupied by Ben...

Photograph

French Cemetery

Date: 1904 ca.

Description: Graves of Joseph Rolette and his daughter, Elizabeth. Rolette died in 1842. The cemetery itself may date as early as the middle of the 17th Century.

Date: 1930 ca.

Description: The Diamond Jo warehouse, a view from the river.

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: The Benedict Octagon House, built about 1843.

Photograph

Marquette Monument

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Marquette Monument at St. Mary's College.

Date: 1954 ca.

Description: View from Brisbois Point. Prairie du Chien lies below, and beyond the Mississippi river rise Iowa's hills.

Photograph

Aerial View of Town

Date: 1958 

Description: An aerial view of town.

Postcard

Fort Crawford

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford. Hospital ruins.

Postcard

Sanitarium

Date: 1905 ca.

Description: View of the Prairie du Chien Sanitarium. Established in 1903, became a general hospital in the 1930s.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.