The First House in Milwaukee, Matthias Stein, Owner
This house, built on a hill close to the Milwaukee River, was the only one in the city as late as 1840. The owner of the house, Martin [Matthias] Stein, a gun maker, moved to the region in the late 1830s. Hölzlhuber means to show it at that earlier time, when Native Americans who came to trade with fur dealer Solomon Juneau camped nearby. A canoe is banked at the water's edge, near a tipi and large tree stump. Hölzlhuber lived opposite this house, with the Vintschger family, for four years. He remarked that the house, still occupied by Stein and his family, "appeared rather funny" situated between 4-story buildings that had since been built.
Original Format Type:
Original Format Number:
RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
Location: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin
How to View in Person
To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.
Checking Out Materials
Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.
How to Cite
For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:
- Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
- Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Contact our Archives staff by email.