Winther Truck advertisement
How to Purchase a Copy
For Commercial or Non-Profit Use
Publication, web, presentations and/or public display.
10-percent discount for Society Members.
Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.
Advertisement for a truck made by the Winther Motor Truck Company. Headline says, "Built for the Service - Trucks Now Must Yield".
Image ID: 45367
Creation Date: 1918-03-09
Creator Name: Unknown
Original Format Type: prints, photomechanical
Original Format Number: AP L777 D57 56
Original Dimensions: 9 x 12 inches
Advertisement from "The Literary Digest" - Vol 56 - Mar 9, 1918 - p C9
Martin P. Winther formed Winther Motor and Truck Company in 1916, initially manufacturing a rear-drive Winther truck. Shortly after, the factory manufactured the 4-wheel-drive Winther-Marwin truck, and the Winther passenger car 1920-23.
The truck cabs were open and fitted with low doors. Initial capacities were 2,3,4 and 6 tons and were priced from $2,750 to $4,600. Later vehicles extended the line and included trucks in the 1 to 7 ton range.
As early as 1919 the company claimed that the Winthers vehicles were the dominating truck in the U.S. Navy. The smaller (1-2 ton) trucks were aimed at the agricultural market, while the heavier models were intended for use in the logging, fire fighting, and snowplowing industries. The latter made early use of rotary plows; one of the largest used two engines, the rear one over the rear axle to drive the truck and the front one for the plow, with the fully-enclosed cab between.
In the 1920s, electric starters were added to most vehicles. In 1926, the company produced five vehicle styles ranging from 1 1/2 to 5/7 tons. In its last year the products were renamed Winther-Kenosha, and in the summer of 1927 the plant was sold to H.P. Olsen.
Automobile industry and trade
RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.
Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Location: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin
How to View in Person
To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.
Checking Out Materials
Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.
How to Cite
For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:
- Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
- Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Contact our Archives staff by email.