View from Kirkland Hotel | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society

Photograph

View from Kirkland Hotel

How to Purchase a Copy

Option 1

Personal Use (a gift or for your home)

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

Wisconsin Historical Society Members receive a 10-percent discount.

Option 2

Publication or Public Use

Buy a historical image for public use, including publication, websites, presentations and public display.

Questions?

Email us: lisa.marine@wisconsinhistory.org

DESCRIPTION

View of Devil's Lake from the shore of the Kirkland Hotel, located at the southeast corner of the lake. There is building, perhaps a boathouse, on the shore near the boats and boating docks.

RECORD DETAILS

Image ID: 86618

Creation Date: 1922 

Creator Name: Gillett, Sherwin

City: Baraboo

County: Sauk

State: Wisconsin

Collection Name: Gillett, Sherwin H.: Papers and Photographs, 1910 - 1961

Genre: Photograph

Original Format Type: negative, original

Original Format Number: (G5)00676

Original Dimensions: 5 x 4 inches

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

From the Sauk County Historical Society (www.saukcountyhistory.org/images/Hotels_Composite_Compressed.pdf): In 1854 Nobel C. Kirk(1827-1895) and Sarah Kirk (1839-1921) bought several hundred acres of property at the Southeastern corner of Devil's Lake. The Kirk's built the Kirkland Resort. More than a dozen cottages were also built between 1880 and the 1890s. Most of the cottages had three rooms and a screened porch. The Kirkland Hotel rented cottages and tents to their guests at Devil's Lake. The Kirkland had a bus that would meet visitors at the railroad station and take them to the hotel in 1909. The Kirkland Hotel was built in 1906. It was not as fancy as Cliff House but was very popular with families of modest income. When Noble died the resort was managed by Harry Otto Terwiller. Terwiller leased the land and ran the hotel until 1921. The hotel was sometimes called the Terwiller Hotel. The Kirland was leased by Arthur Murphy until 1927. Mrs. N.C. Kirk sold the hotel and 430 acres to the state. During the 1930's and 1940's the hotel housed various groups. The Kirkland was torn down in 1946. It was the last remaining Devils Lake resort. The Kirkland cottages were sold to the Silverdale Resort, (North of Devil Lake).

SUBJECTS

Architecture

Boathouses

Boats and boating

Botany

Camp sites, facilities, etc.

Dwellings

Formations (Geology)

Hills

Human settlements

Lakes

Land

Landscape

Outdoor photography

Persons

Rural areas

Shorelines

Shrubs

State parks and reserves

Transportation

Trees

Water

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS

This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.

Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.

Reference Details

Location: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin


How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.

.