William Dickinson House
How to Purchase a Copy
For Commercial or Non-Profit Use
Such as publication, web, public display or film.
10-percent discount for Society Members.
Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.
An elegant carriage and group of people stand in front of a picket fence with a brick house with shutters and hipped roof behind. More people stand in the yard behind the fence.
Image ID: 9219
Creation Date: 1874 ca.
Creator Name: Dahl, Andreas Larsen, 1844-1923
Collection Name: Dahl, Andreas Larsen, 1844-1923 : Andreas Larsen Dahl photographs, 1870-1880, 1910-1915
Original Format Type: negative, original
Original Format Number: (D32)838
Original Dimensions: 7 x 9 in.
See also Image ID#s 27470 and 27034.
From Kathleen Lenerz 3/1/2007:
"A family photo identical to (this) appeared in the Edgerton Reporter on 17 July 1985. In the article, which consists of recollections of Beatrice Holton McEvers, she described it as the home of her grandparents, William (1819-1875) and Eliza (Goldthorpe) Dickinson (1843-1927). As a descendant of William, I have some ideas as to the identities of the individuals in this photo. The older fellow, wearing the black hat and vest, is probably William; the younger woman in the dark dress on the right is probably his much younger second wife Eliza. The young adults are probably children from his first marriage, with the young children from his second."
"The two bigger boys at the side of the house are probably Weetman (b 1863) and George (b 1865); the little girl is probably Louisa (b 1867)...Martha (b 1856) is probably the young woman standing by herself...The most likely identity of the young couple seems to be Isaac Dickinson (b 1848) and his wife Hannah Wileman, who were married in March 1874...The man in the broad-brimmed hat on the left (front)...is not dressed as well as the others; he may have been hired farm help."
The location is "the S 1/2 of the SW 1/4 of Section 14 in the Town of Albion...William Dickinson was one of the first settlers on Albion Prairie, arriving in June 1844...The house still stands today on the west side of Hillside Road, between Craig Road and Highway 106, not far from the Albion Prairie Primitive Methodist and Methodist Episcopal churces (which Dahl may have photographed about the same time as this photo)."
Carriages and carts
RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.
Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Location: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin
How to View in Person
To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.
Checking Out Materials
Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.
How to Cite
For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:
- Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
- Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
- Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Contact our Archives staff by email.