Guide or Instruction
Historic Preservation Commission Training
Welcome to the Wisconsin Historical Society's Historic Preservation Commission Training. This website is the only comprehensive online training program of its kind for preservation commissioners in the United States. It has been designed for new commissioners, but it is also a useful tool for experienced commissioners who have a need for more advanced information.
What You Will Learn
This program will help you learn more about historic preservation and the roles and responsibilities of preservation commissions. Although this training is specifically designed for Wisconsin, much of the content is broadly applicable to the work of preservation commissions nationwide. Be advised that each historic preservation commission operates under its own unique local ordinance and may have special considerations as a result.
By completing this training, you will be able to:
- Describe the functions, operations, and responsibilities of a preservation commission
- Identify key preservation laws, statutes, and programs
- Explain historic preservation’s economic benefits for your community
- Apply new design review and decision-making knowledge to your own commission processes
How to Use this Training Program
- New commission members: Begin with Chapter 1. Use the back and next arrows at the bottom of each page to move through each part of the training.
- Experienced commission members and repeat visitors: Choose any topic by clicking on a chapter link below or on the right side of your screen.
Chapter 11: Coming Soon! Preservation Communications and Promotions