How to Search Our Library Collections
With millions of items in the Society's collections, it can sometimes be challenging for Library-Archives patrons to find exactly what they want. This guide is intended to help you explore the Society’s rich collections.
The Society’s collections are cataloged in the University of Wisconsin-Madison library catalog (see images below).
UW-Madison Library Catalog
Example Catalog Record
- You are no longer on our website when you search the library catalog, but the catalog does include full records for the Society's Library collections.
- Only a portion of the maps collection is accessible via the library catalog, some of the collection is accessible via card catalog (located in the Archives).
- If you have questions please contact us by phone at 608-264-6535 or by email.
Browse in Person
The Library and Archives are free and open to the public. See Hours, Visiting the Library and Archives, and Borrowing Information.
- Nearly all of the Library's 14 stack levels are open to the public, and visitors may browse the open stacks and use any material in the library.
- Materials in the collections of pamphlets, current periodicals and rare books can be retrieved upon request.
- Professional reference librarians are available to assist patrons. If you need assistance, please ask.
Maps and Atlases in Our Collection
Visiting the Library and Archives
Contact our Library staff at 608-264-6535 or by email below: