319 W 2ND ST
Architecture and History Inventory
Historic Name: NORTHERN NATIONAL BANK
Other Name: NORTHERN STATE BANK
Reference Number: 885
Location (Address): 319 W 2ND ST
Year Built: 1921
Historic Use: bank/financial institution
Architectural Style: Neoclassical
Property Type: Building
Wall Material: Concrete
Other Buildings On Site:
National/State Register Listing Name:
WEST SECOND STREET COMMERCIAL H.D.
National Register Listing Date: 1984-02-02
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
National Register Multiple Property Name:
Additional Information: RICHLY DECORATED NEOCLASSICAL STYLE BANK AT CNR WITH IONIC ORDER [Date Cnst:(A)]
DESCRIPTION: This finely-detailed rectangular bank built in 1921 of reinforced concrete after designs by Thomas Shefchik of Ashland, features the Neo-Classical Revival style expressed through the Ionic Order. The portico is tetrastyle-in-ants, and the door is surrounded by classical moldings. The west facade continues the Neo-Classical mode with six engaged Ionic columns between the rectangular windows. The Northern State Bank was originally the Northern National Bank and the 1933 management change is evidenced by the replacement blocks n the name and datestone. The Northern National Bank was forced to close due to the poor economic conditions of the Great Depression era. The two prominent facades exploit the corner site by the simple entablature and protruding cornice. The roofline features the white-glazed ceramic acroteria and antifixa with ornamental palmettes.
SIGNIFICANCE: This Neo-Classical Revival style building is considered pivotal (contributing) in the district and is significant for its facade designed by Thomas Shefchik of Ashland and for its association with the economic development of Ashland. The bank, was forced to close in 1933. It reopened as the Northern State Bank and the altered facade is significant as testimony to the Great Depression era in Ashland's commercial district.
The Northern National Bank was incorporated in 1887 with a capital of $100,000 and was originally located at 401 West 2nd Street, the Shores Block, E.A. Shores as President. Mr. Shores directed Shores' Building Association with C.F. Latimer as Vice-President in the late 19th century, thus responsible for many of the building program in Ashland's years of expansion.
Bibliographic References: [A] ASHLAND SALUTES 100 YEARS OF PROGRESS
How to Cite
For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:
- National Register of Historic Places Citation
- National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".
If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: