1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10
.

Date:  date unknown

Description: Elevated view of the pile-pontoon railroad bridge across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The bridge was built and patented by John Lawler in 187...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the original site, 1816-1831).

Date: 1823 

Description: British evacuation of their fort at Prairie du Chien after the end of the War of 1812. Fort Shelby, the first fort at Prairie du Chien, was built in 1814 b...

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

Photograph

View from Bluffs

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: View from the bluffs in or near McGregor, Iowa.

Photograph

Dousman Warehouse

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Dousman Warehouse, East Water Street. Originally located on the wharf parallel with the river. Built 1839, and occupied by Dousman until about 1855.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Postcard

Sanitarium

Date: 1907 

Description: View of Prairie du Chien Sanitarium. "The ground where this sanitarium stands was the site of Gen. Taylor's headquarters at Fort Crawford in 1832. It was...

Date: 1872 

Description: Allegedly the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Photograph

Bluff Street

Date: 1900 ca.

Description: Bluff street looking west.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A horse-drawn carriage pauses along a fence on the right side of a dirt road. Houses stand to the left.

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Date: 1906 ca.

Description: Crawford County Courthouse, built in 1875.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1940 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford. Hospital after restoration.

Date:  date unknown

Description: The former Astor (American Fur Trading Company) post building, now a museum of local history and fur trading history. There is a sign reading, "The Riversi...

Date: 1905 ca.

Description: View looking toward old Diamond Jo Warehouse, before the bridge was built.

Photograph

Brisbois House

Date: 1940 ca.

Description: A view of the entrance to the Brisbois house.

Photograph

French Cemetery

Date: 1904 ca.

Description: Graves of Joseph Rolette and his daughter, Elizabeth. Rolette died in 1842. The cemetery itself may date as early as the middle of the 17th Century.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.