1
.

Newspaper Article/Clipping

History of Prairie du Chien

Date: 1863-1-20

County: Crawford

City: Prairie du Chien

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1860 ca.

Description: View from field of Villa Louis, the residence of Hercules L. Dousman.

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: MASON HOUSE

Reference Number: 3942

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: GERMAN SCHOOL

Reference Number: 3934

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view from lawn of the stone facade of St. Mary Academy. The arched main entrance is partially visible behind trees on left. A bell tower sits in the midd...

Date: 1864 

Description: Union troops at Lawler Hall which was used as a U.S. military hospital during the Civil War. Originally built as the Brisbois Hotel in 1857, it was given f...

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of North Campus at St. Mary Academy taken from a brick walkway. A few structures are visible in the background, and a bench stands near the path.

Date: 1865 

Description: This is a collection of two plat maps. The first map shows lots, streets, and farm lot 25. Written in ink, the top of the map reads: Plat of Prairie du Ch...

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Date: 1864 ca.

Description: Lawler Hall at Campion College. This image was made during the Civil War when the building was used as a U.S. Military hospital. Prior to the war, it was B...

Property Record

WATER ST & FISHER ST

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: Dousman Hotel

Reference Number: 3956

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1864 

Description: Fort Crawford was decommissioned in 1856, having outlived its usefulness as a frontier post. During the Civil War, however, it functioned as a military ho...

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: Evangelical United Brethren Church

Reference Number: 170921

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Property Record

214 W. Blackhawk Ave.

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: commercial building

Reference Number: 147481

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of a gazebo, porch, and benches on the campus of St. Mary Academy. The lawn overlooks the Iowa Bluffs near the Mississippi River.

Photograph

Brisbois Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois Hotel, built in the early 1860's, and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was later part of Campion High School.

1

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.