1 2 3 4 5
.

Date:  date unknown

Description: The former Astor (American Fur Trading Company) post building, now a museum of local history and fur trading history. There is a sign reading, "The Riversi...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Panoramic view of southwest corner of Villa Louis lawn. The house and a path can be seen at right.

Date: 1918 

Description: Interior view of the Prairie du Chien City Library. The cardboard backing reads: "Prairie du Chien, 1918." Reverse of the cardboard mounting reads: "Prairi...

Photograph

Dousman Family

Date:  date unknown

Description: Two members of the Dousman Family relaxing on the porch of Villa Louis.

Date: 1918 ca.

Description: Postcard of an interior view of the Prairie du Chien City Library, with library board members seated at a table. The card is embossed with a round stamp wi...

Date:  date unknown

Description: View from shoreline of the "Capitol" excursion steamer pulled up to the bank of the Mississippi. The steamer has three or four decks, and elaborately detai...

Date:  

Description: Aline W. Hazard, WHA Homemakers program director, visits a sorghum mill in Prairie du Chien for her on-the-spot reporting of unusual Wisconsin industries.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A bow view of the "Sidney". Later named "Washington".

Date: 1911-10-19 

Description: A crowd gathered on the Mississippi River shoreline near Prairie du Chien. They are watching pioneer aviator Hugh Robinson taxi his Curtiss flying boat.

Photograph

LaPointe House

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: LaPointe house built about the time of the War of 1812, and razed in 1921. It was originally a log structure which was later clapboarded, but the logs stil...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Schoolhouse at Lawerton(?), built 1859. There is a bell tower on the roof. Several of the windows are boarded up, and the door is either wide open or missi...

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date:  

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Date:  date unknown

Description: View of snow-covered trees on the west lawn of the Villa Louis grounds.

Date: 1898 

Description: Group of twelve people, including Nina Dousman, gathered around a table outdoors, with a fountain spouting water in the background. Four people play cards...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Panoramic view of the east lawn at Villa Louis. The house and office building can be seen at right.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1864 

Description: Fort Crawford was decommissioned in 1856, having outlived its usefulness as a frontier post. During the Civil War, however, it functioned as a military ho...

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view from lawn of the stone facade of St. Mary Academy. The arched main entrance is partially visible behind trees on left. A bell tower sits in the midd...

Photograph

Warehouse

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Exterior of warehouse, which was formerly a five storied grain elevator. This building stood downstream from the Diamond Jo warehouse. The Mississippi Rive...

Date: 1859 

Description: Steam-powered car designed to run on ice across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The LADY FRANKLIN made one successful trip across, but wa...

Photograph

Dousman Family

Date:  date unknown

Description: Page from photo album showing Nina S. Dousman and three sisters posed outdoors while hiking in a coulee, north of town. Nina is seated and reading. Three o...

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.