1 2 3 4
.

Date:  date unknown

Description: The former Astor (American Fur Trading Company) post building, now a museum of local history and fur trading history. There is a sign reading, "The Riversi...

Photograph

View of Town

Date: 1900 ca.

Description: Dr. Jesse Rowley driving the buggy. Dr. Rowley was a co-founder of the Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

Map or Atlas

Railroad Plan

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Railroad plan of Prairie du Chien.

Date:  date unknown

Description: "Section of New Prairie du Chien Marquette $1,000,000 Suspension Bridge. Total length 3729 feet. Only suspension bridge on the Mississippi River. Open for...

Date: 1859 

Description: Steam-powered car designed to run on ice across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The LADY FRANKLIN made one successful trip across, but wa...

Photograph

Railroad Bridge

Date:  date unknown

Description: A view of a railroad bridge, constructed of heavy steel that sits on massive stone supports. Wooded hills stand in the background.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereograph looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date:  date unknown

Description: View from shoreline of the "Capitol" excursion steamer pulled up to the bank of the Mississippi. The steamer has three or four decks, and elaborately detai...

Date:  date unknown

Description: View of the East Walkway at Villa Louis. The walk is lined with trees and flower beds.

Date: 1848 

Description: The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, with the Mississippi River in the foreground. Although dated 1830, this scene was actually painted by Henry Le...

Date: 1911-10-19 

Description: Pilot Hugh Robinson and his Curtiss hydroplane at Prairie du Chien during a flight that was intended to be the first all the way down the Mississippi River...

Date: 1931-5-10

County: Crawford

City: Prairie du Chien

Photograph

Villa Louis Grounds

Date:  date unknown

Description: Composite panoramic view showing gazebo, star bed, and southeast corner of the lawn.

Date:  date unknown

Description: South lawn looking west from gazebo toward fountain. A path crosses the foreground, and the Dousman's dog, Folo, lounges on the lawn.

Photograph

Brisbois House

Date: 1925 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois House from across the railroad tracks.

Date:  date unknown

Description: A bow view of the "Sidney". Later named "Washington".

Photograph

View of Town

Date:  date unknown

Description: 1. Stone Astor Fur Co. building built in 1808. 2. Voth Cottage, built in 1930. 3. Brisbois mansion, built 1808, by Michael Brisbois. 4. Site of Hudson...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Photograph

Villa Louis Grounds

Date: 1904 ca.

Description: East view of round canna bed and grotto on Villa Louis grounds. The house can be seen at left.

Date: 1901 ca.

Description: The offices of the American Fur Company.

1 2 3 4

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.