1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1872 

Description: Alleged to be the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: This is a plat map of "Wauzeeka" drawn in pencil. The map shows numbered lots, labeled streets, the Kickapoo River, and railroads. The map reads: "Laid out...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery. Photograph made before restoration by the United States Government. Soldiers' families were also buried in the cemetery.

Book or Pamphlet

Artesian Stock Farm

Date: 1884 

Description: Bird's-eye view drawing of the grounds of Villa Louis, the estate of the fur trading Dousman family. After the death of H. Louis Dousman's mother in 1882,...

Date: 1856 

Description: This map is ink and color on paper and mounted on cloth. The map shows lot and block numbers, streets, a railroad, and the Kickapoo River. Some lots are c...

Date: 1887 

Description: St. Gabriel's Roman Catholic Church.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery, as seen before it was restored by the United States Government.

Drawing

School

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The first school house at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

Map or Atlas

Crawford County Map

Date: 1878 

Description: Illustrated map of Crawford County. On the bottom right is an inset of a group of people near a train on a railroad track.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1860 ca.

Description: View from field of Villa Louis, the residence of Hercules L. Dousman.

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Stereograph of artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta).

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of North Campus at St. Mary Academy taken from a brick walkway. A few structures are visible in the background, and a bench stands near the path.

Date: 1859 

Description: Steam-powered car designed to run on ice across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The LADY FRANKLIN made one successful trip across, but wa...

Date: 1820 

Description: This map displays the plan for claiming various settlement zones in the Prairie des Chiens area in 1820. It shows Fort Crawford and 87 confirmed and unconf...

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, depot building, and the Milwaukee & Mississippi Rail Road.

Date: 1851-08-11 

Description: Photograph of the death notice of Daniel G. Fenton, a Judge of the County Court, published by the Members of the Bar of Crawford County.

Date: 1857 

Description: This map shows lots and streets and includes pencil manuscript notations on the front and certification statements on the reverse. The top left margin rea...

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: This early 19th century manuscript map of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, shows sections, landownership and acreages, roads, and ferries in the towns of Bridg...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.