1 2
.

Photograph

Guppey Guard

Date: 1877-06 

Description: The Guppey Guard, a Wisconsin state militia unit, in formation on a street in Portage.

Photograph

Fort Winnebago

Date: 1898 

Description: The commissary warehouse at Fort Winnebago.

Photograph

Turner-Rusch House

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Turner-Rusch house. Frederick Jackson Turner's family lived here until 1882 when it was purchased by the Rusch Family. Julia Rusch was later (1950) pri...

Photograph

Portage Canal

Date: 1885 ca.

Description: Steamboats docked in the Portage Canal, which was hand dug beginning in 1849 and completed in 1851. There are industrial buildings on either side of the ca...

Photograph

Portage Canal

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Stereoview of the Portage Canal.

Photograph

Haertel Brewery

Date: 1880 

Description: Exterior view of the Haertel Brewery which later became the Eulberg Brewery.

Painting

Portage Painting

Date: 1856 

Description: "After painting a number of Fox River scenes, "the artists continued their way to Fond du Lac, at the south end of Lake Winnebago, where they found some mo...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: The State Register newspaper office. This paper was published by Andrew Jackson Turner, father of Frederick Jackson Turner noted historian. Andrew Jackson...

Photograph

Purdy House

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereoview of the Purdy house.

Photograph

Portage View

Date: 1856 

Description: View of Portage including St. Mary's Church.

Date: 1885 

Description: Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul engine #689 on the turn table, surrounded by railroad employees. The pump house is in the background.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: A view of the Columbia County Court House and Post Office.

Date: 1868 

Description: Bird's-eye map of Portage, with insets of the Court House and the Public School.

Photograph

Portage Railroad

Date: 1884 

Description: A group of men and boys posed around Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway locomotive # 313, a switch engine. The Fox House is in the background.

Photograph

Yellow Thunder

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Studio portrait of Yellow thunder, a Winnebago Chief.

Date: 1855 ca.

Description: Church built in 1855 for First Presbyterian congregation. In May 1892, fire destroyed the interior. The congregation sold the damaged building to the Bapti...

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Front gate view of the Old Fort Winnebago military cemetery.

Date: 1831 

Description: Drawing of Fort Winnebago (near present-day Portage) that illustrated "Wau-Bun", Juliette Kinzie's memoir of her experiences on the early Wisconsin fronti...

Photograph

Fort Winnebago

Date: 1834 

Description: Postcard reproduction of an oil painting of Fort Winnebago, which was built in 1827 by Major William Whistler and a detachment of the First Infantry.

Photograph

Fort Winnebago

Date: 1897 ca.

Description: The commissary warehouse at Fort Winnebago.

1 2

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.