1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
.

Postcard

Turner Hall

Date: 1945 ca.

Description: Turner Hall, a Swiss social center in Monroe.

Photograph

Turner Hall

Date: 1960 

Description: Turner Hall, a Swiss social center in Monroe.

Photograph

Street Scene

Date: 1926 

Description: View across street of the exterior of the Bank of New Glarus on the corner of the street.

Photograph

Street Scene

Date:  date unknown

Description: View across an intersection of a man standing at the corner entrance of an untitled shop. Down the sidewalk on the left a young boy leans over to talk with...

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Monument to the first settlers in this Swiss colony, 1845. View of monument with partial view of Swiss Reform Church in background.

Date: 1957 ca.

Description: Aerial view of downtown, including park, church, and stores.

Photograph

High School

Date: 1925 

Description: Exterior across lawn of the three-story New Glarus high school. The school building features a decommissioned Civil War cannon near the entrance.

Date: 1948-08-28 

Description: Fire fighters applying water to the burning Fitzgibbons building downtown.

Date: 1948 ca.

Description: Cabin built by Jacob Rieder, an early Swiss settler of New Glarus.

Date: 2008 

Description: Clarence "Slim" Fritag's Pure Oil service station, located at 1323 Ninth Street, created a sensation in 1935 when the local newspaper announced that "an at...

Date: 1935 before

Description: Selma Eismoe, the teacher at Farmer's Grove School, poses with her mother, Mrs. H.O. Eidsmoe. Mrs. Eidsmoe stands on concrete porch steps. A curtain blows...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Swiss Reformed Church (second church), demolished in 1899.

Date:  date unknown

Description: Statue in front of the Swiss Reform Church commemorating the first Swiss colony in 1845.

Photograph

Civil War Monument

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: The Soldiers and Sailors Civil War Monument on the grounds of the Green County Courthouse. A sculpture of a soldier stands atop the massive base made of Mo...

Photographs of Public Libraries in Wisconsin

Learn about how the Wisconsin Free Library Commission helped to establish and improve free public libraries in Wisconsin.

Date: 1948 ca.

Description: Barlow "Chalet of the Golden Fleece," built in 1937 as the home of Edwin Barlow, originator and director of the Wilhelm Tell play. It has been willed to th...

Date: 1861 after

Description: The First Universalist Church, built in 1861.

Photograph

Coates House

Date: 1948 ca.

Description: The Coates house.

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Exterior view of Zwingli Reformed Church.

Photograph

Engebretson Mural

Date:  

Description: The Engebretson Mural on the side of the Brodhead cheese factory.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.