1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10
.

Photograph

St. Nazianz Church

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: Church, probably named St. Nazianz, at least unofficially; no source is quite clear on this. In 1845, Father Ambrose Oschwald, hoping to free his co-religi...

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: A small church in St. Nazianz.

Date: 1941-07-08 

Description: A boy rides his bike as if leading a fleet of cars, with the Lake Michigan ferry blowing smoke in the background.

The Story of Two Communities Through Photographs

Read about the history of Manitowoc and Two Rivers, two Wisconsin communities, and view photos documenting more than 150 years of life in the two cities.

Photograph

Bake Oven

Date: 1925-08-24 

Description: An outdoor brick bake oven with utensils alongside. According to the photographer, these were "often used by the early taverns."

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: This blueprint map shows lot and block numbers, streets, and right of way for the Two Rivers Branch railroad. The map covers land west to sections 22 and 2...

Photograph

Kiel Hotel

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: The Kiel Hotel.

Date: 1910 

Description: Church of the Society of the Divine Savior.

Ever wonder why beer is so popular in Wisconsin? Wisconsin history is full of breweries and beer.

Date: 1905 

Description: This map shows a plat of the city, local streets, railroads, public buildings, local businesses, and parts of the Manitowoc River and Lake Michigan. Relief...

Date:  

Description: A series of four portraits of the Salomon brothers. From left to right are Brigadeer General Charles E. Salomon, Governor Edward Salomon, Major General Fre...

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: The Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz.

Date:  

Description: Exterior view of the Manitowoc County Courthouse featuring a glass dome.

Date:  date unknown

Description: View of E.C. Berner's Ice Cream Parlor, where the first ice cream sundae is said to have been made in 1881.

Date: 1891 

Description: Exterior view of Schuette Brothers Store on S. Eighth Street. There are two horse-drawn vehicles in front of the store. There is a small mannequin in the s...

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Five dressmakers pose in front of Miss Annie Graumann's Dressmakers Shop.

Date: 1900 ca.

Description: A group portrait of the Shutterbugs Camera Club. First row, left to right: Suzy Dempsey, Jennie Dempsey; Second row, middle, Anna Dempsey; porch step, Libb...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: The schooner "S.M. Stephenson" was built in Manitowoc in 1880, weighing 511 gross tons. Its owner was A. Bigelow.

Photograph

Train at Valders

Date: 1912 ca.

Description: A single passenger awaits the arrival of a train at the Valders station. The train, which is a mixed local on the Manitowoc line, is being pulled by Minnea...

Date: 1924 

Description: View from low section of quarry towards the processing plant up a steep rise. Tracks for hauling limestone are on the left near small sheds and a marshy ar...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.