1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Seifert's watercolor is fairly large, measuring 27" wide by 21" high, and provides a detailed depiction of a nineteenth century Wisconsin farm. The small s...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The David Atwood house, located at 204 Monona Avenue on the corner of Doty Street.

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center....The third, another rural river scene, whose composit...

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Andrew Proudfit house located at 113 West Washington Avenue.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Oscar D. Brandenburg house, 22 Langdon Street. Later the Theta Delta Chi fraternity house. Razed and replaced in 1972 by the Langdon Apartments. Oscar...

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: From Holzlhuber's journal: "Mr. Klaner, who immigrated only in 1858 from Elberfeld to Canada, purchased the farm which I sketched here, and he looked afte...

Date: 1950 ca.

Description: View of Edward C. Berner's ice cream store.

Painting

Yellow Thunder

Date:  date unknown

Description: Waist-up portrait of Yellow Thunder , noted warrior, and chief of the Winnebagoes (Ho-Chunk).

Painting

Corn Shredding

Date:  date unknown

Description: Two farm workers in the righthand foreground toss a corn bundle up to the horsedrawn corn shredding machine to be shredded. To the left, a man loads feed c...

Painting

South Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: South Hall at University of Wisconsin-Madison, built in 1855 and designed by John F. Rague.

Painting

Iometah

Date: 1858 

Description: Portrait of Iometah.

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: This house was located amongst the Chippewa (Ojibwa) Indians, and is where Holzlhuber took shelter one night after he and his large group danced with the f...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Exterior view of Sweet Clover School near the end of the school year in late April or early May. Cows graze in an adjoining pasture and a farmer is complet...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house built by James McBride at 200 Farwell Drive. The house was later owned by Halle Steensland, Samuel H. Marshall, and Robert M. La Follette.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Napoleon B. Van Slyke house located at 510 N. Carroll Street. The house was built for Van Slyke by A. Kutzbock about 1868.

Painting

Walker Castle

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The sandstone house known as Walker's Castle was located in the 900 block of East Gorham Street. According to newspaper articles, it was built in about 186...

Date: 1858 ca.

Description: On an old Indian trail through extensive virgin forest from Lake Superior, Holzlhuber and several other trappers traveled upstream and came across the farm...

Painting

Woodcutting Bee

Date:  date unknown

Description: Neighbors work together in the final process of sawing firewood, as they saw poles into blocks. The man with the plaid shirt and suspenders is the owner of...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Full-length portrait of Nellie Jane Manning.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Levi B. Vilas house at 521 North Henry Street after the porch and steps were remodeled by Arthur O. Fox, brother of Mrs. William F. Vilas, who purchase...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.