Off Highway V at Lakeside Park in Lake Michigan | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Off Highway V at Lakeside Park in Lake Michigan

National Register or State Register

NAMES

Historic Name: Jacksonport Wharf Archaeological District

Reference Number: 12000053

PROPERTY LOCATION

Location (Address): Off Highway V at Lakeside Park in Lake Michigan

County: Door

City/Village: 

Township: Jacksonport

SUMMARY

Jacksonport Wharf Archaeological District
Lakeside Park, Lake Michigan, Town of Jacksonport, Door County
Dates of construction: 1848-1880

During the heyday of Wisconsin's lumber industry, Jacksonport's business and community life centered around three large piers: Hibbard's Pier, LaMere's Pier, and Reynolds' Pier. Wooden schooners were frequently moored to the piers while loading cordwood, shingles, and posts bound for the ports of Milwaukee and Chicago. Other waiting schooners would anchor a short distance offshore, awaiting their turn to load. Today, the remains of the three piers that defined the Jacksonport community are extant on the lakebed along with the remains of three lumber schooners. One unidentified schooner, tentatively identified as the Annie Dall, lies north of Hibbard's Pier. Two others, the Cecelia and the Perry Hannah, lie along the remnants Reynolds' Pier, the southernmost pier of the complex.

The schooner Perry Hannah was the first vessel to be lost when she was driven into Reynolds' Pier during the Great Alpena Blow of 16 October 1880. She lodged in the center of the pier, severely damaging herself and the pier. The schooner was later hauled alongside the pier and abandoned. On 9 September 1885, the schooner Cecilia was lost while riding out a storm at anchor a short distance from shore. Her anchors dragged, however, and she came ashore, lodging her bow beneath Reynolds' Pier and sustaining significant damage. The Cecelia's masts were salvaged and her hull was abandoned. The Annie Dall also came ashore while riding out an east-southeast gale at anchor on 18 October 1898. The Annie Dall sustained significant damage in the grounding, and although she was pulled from the beach and an attempt was made to tow her to Sturgeon Bay for repairs, the vessel was leaking too badly and a salvage pump placed aboard her was unable keep up with the rising water in her hold. The Annie Dall was ultimately abandoned on 22 October 1898 following a salvage operation that lasted four days.

By 1920, the Jacksonport lumber trade was logged out and the three piers were mostly abandoned, with only occasional use by local commercial fisherman until 1938 when an ice shove damaged the piers beyond repair. Today, during periods of calm water, the Reynolds' Pier pilings can be seen protruding from the water's surface.

State and federal laws protect these shipwreck. Divers may not remove artifacts or structure when visiting this site. Removing, defacing, displacing or destroying artifacts or sites is a crime. More information on Wisconsin's historic shipwrecks may be found by visiting Wisconsin's Great Lakes Shipwrecks website.

PROPERTY FEATURES

Period of Significance: 1868-1938

Area of Significance: Archeology/Historic - Non-Aboriginal

Area of Significance: Commerce

Area of Significance: Maritime History

Applicable Criteria: Information Potential

Historic Use: Transportation: Water-Related

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Resource Type: District

Architect: Arnold, Thomas

Architect: Hibbard, Perry

Architect: LaMere, Joseph

Architect: MacGiven, James

Architect: Reynolds, Charles

DESIGNATIONS

Historic Status: Listed in the National Register

Historic Status: Listed in the State Register

National Historic Landmark Listing Date:

National Register Listing Date: 2012-02-28

State Register Listing Date: 2011-05-06

NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY

Number of Contributing Buildings: 0

Number of Contributing Sites: 6

Number of Contributing Structures: 0

Number of Contributing Objects: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Buildings: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Sites: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Structures: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Objects: 0

RECORD LOCATION

National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation-Public History, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help:

.