1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
.

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Date: 1872 

Description: Alleged to be the earliest known view of St. Mary's Institute, which later became St. Mary's College. One-half of a stereograph.

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 ca.

Description: Fort Shelby, built by the Americans during the War of 1812. In 1814 the fort surrendered to British forces led by Captain Andrew W. Bulger who renamed it...

Property Record

119-125 E Blackhawk Ave

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: Poehler Block

Reference Number: 147519

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: NORTHWEST FUR CO OFFICE

Reference Number: 3899

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Date: 1854-12-05 

Description: This plat map shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, and an old fort. The left margin reads: "Part of the Main Village of Prai...

Newspaper Article/Clipping

Second Battle of the Battle Axe

Date: 1887-1-15

County: Crawford

City: Prairie du Chien

Date: 1855-05-21 

Description: This plat map shows lots, the Kickapoo River, and the Wisconsin River.

Date: 1864 

Description: Union troops at Lawler Hall which was used as a U.S. military hospital during the Civil War. Originally built as the Brisbois Hotel in 1857, it was given f...

Property Record

c. 118 E. Blackhawk Ave.

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: commercial building

Reference Number: 147509

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1817 

Description: Forth Crawford (1816-1831).

Property Record

101 103 E. Blackhawk Ave.

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: commercial building

Reference Number: 147523

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of North Campus at St. Mary Academy taken from a brick walkway. A few structures are visible in the background, and a bench stands near the path.

Postcard

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (1829-1835).

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Property Record

419 5TH ST

Community: Prairie du Chien

County: Crawford

Historic Name: Gremore-Coorough House

Reference Number: 72069

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.