1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10
.

Date: 1934-07-28 

Description: This map shows buildings and dimensions of Fort Crawford and hospital overlaid on a plat of existing lots, streets, and closed streets.

Date: 1954 ca.

Description: View from Brisbois Point. Prairie du Chien lies below, and beyond the Mississippi river rise Iowa's hills.

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Astor fur trading building, The Northwest Fur Company, in 1808. This building later used as a post office before the Civil War.

Date: 1820 

Description: This map displays the plan for claiming various settlement zones in the Prairie des Chiens area in 1820. It shows Fort Crawford and 87 confirmed and unconf...

Photograph

Zephyr Locomotive

Date:  date unknown

Description: The diesel-powered Zephyr passenger train of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad on the tracks at the depot. The Zephyr was introduced at the Chicago...

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1940 ca.

Description: Former residence of the commanding officer. General Zachary Taylor was its first resident. It was subsequently rebuilt under the command of General Brooke....

Postcard

Sanitarium

Date: 1907 

Description: View of Prairie du Chien Sanitarium. "The ground where this sanitarium stands was the site of Gen. Taylor's headquarters at Fort Crawford in 1832. It was...

Date: 1905 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery, restored by the United States Government about 1905.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

Date:  date unknown

Description: "Section of New Prairie du Chien Marquette $1,000,000 Suspension Bridge. Total length 3729 feet. Only suspension bridge on the Mississippi River. Open for...

Postcard

High School

Date: 1906 ca.

Description: High School built in 1896. George Fairfield, President of the Board of Education.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1930 

Description: Ruins of Fort Crawford.

Photograph

Minnesota Street

Date: 1900 ca.

Description: View of Minnesota Street.

Date: 1936 ca.

Description: Old Northwest Fur Trading Post.

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Campion College.

Date: 1953 

Description: The Diamond Jo warehouse.

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Stereograph of artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta).

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: Former building of the Astor Company, also known as the Brisbois Fur Trading Post. At the time this photograph was taken, the structure was occupied by Ben...

Date: 1828 ca.

Description: This plat map is pen-and-ink and shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, Fort Crawford, the town commons, and the Village of St....

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next 10

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.