1 2 3 4 5
.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Photograph

View from Bluffs

Date: 1893 

Description: View from the bluffs in or near McGregor, Iowa.

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of a gazebo, porch, and benches on the campus of St. Mary Academy. The lawn overlooks the Iowa Bluffs near the Mississippi River.

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map is ink and watercolor on paper and includes certifications inscribed by Saml. T. [M?]ight, a civil engineer, Edward H. Brodhead, James H. Lockwood...

Date: 1855-05-21 

Description: This plat map shows lots, the Kickapoo River, and the Wisconsin River.

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Photograph

Villa Louis Porch

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: The Dousman family and friends on the east porch of Villa Louis.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Drawing

Astor Building

Date: 1830 

Description: A view of the Astor building.

Photograph

Vedder House

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The Cornelia Vedder house. Described as the house "where George Winnie, a conductor on the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railroad, stayed at the end of hi...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1856-09-01 

Description: This map is pen-and-ink and shows farm lots, other lots of land sectioned by acres, bluffs, and a coulee. Also included are notations in pencil and blue in...

Date: 1859 

Description: Steam-powered car designed to run on ice across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien. The LADY FRANKLIN made one successful trip across, but wa...

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereograph of an artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta). Construction was com...

Date: 1853-06 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows lot and block numbers and dimensions, sold lots, streets, and the Mississippi River. Some lots are co...

Photograph

Brisbois Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois Hotel, built in the early 1860's, and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was later part of Campion High School.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.