1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The sandstone house known as Walker's Castle was located in the 900 block of East Gorham Street. According to newspaper articles, it was built in about 186...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Watercolor painting of houses at the corner of 9th and Juneau Streets.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: John H. Knight house, 28 East Gilman Street, built by Napoleon B. Van Slyke in 1858. Later owned by Knight, then Dr. George Keenan.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: This Italianate sandstone house was built in 1856 by Julius T. White at 130 East Gilman Street. The house was later owned by J.G. Thorp, whose daughter mar...

Painting

Portage Painting

Date: 1856 

Description: "After painting a number of Fox River scenes, "the artists continued their way to Fond du Lac, at the south end of Lake Winnebago, where they found some mo...

Date:  date unknown

Description: Townspeople fleeing the Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date: 1916-03-16 

Description: Benjamin Walker Castle, 900 block East Gorham Street, ca. 1862-1893

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Jairus Cassius Fairchild, the first mayor of Madison, built this house in 1850 at 302 South Wisconsin Avenue (renamed Monona Avenue in 1877) at West Wilson...

Date: 1856 

Description: Fox River, with Doty Island to the right. From the painting by Samuel Marsden Brookes and Thomas Stevenson, one of a series commissioned by Morgan L. Marti...

Painting

De Pere Painting

Date: 1856 

Description: "....At De Pere they stopped on the west shore for a broad sketch of the dwellings clustered on both sides of the river. The distant dam, the mills, wareho...

Date: 1948 

Description: Prior to the 1948 State Fair, artist Robert Hodgell traveled Wisconsin to study its many landscapes. He then produced a series of study sketches outlining...

Date: 1967 

Description: Watercolor painting of the State Historical Society headquarters building by Paul Duesler. This painting is associated with the 1967 building addition plan...

Date: 1882 ca.

Description: The Newhall House,one of the most magnificent hotels in the United States, opened on August 10, 1856. Amid smaller houses and establishments the hotel was...

Date: 1856 

Description: "....The first in their series was not an 'improvement' but a view of the Green Bay settlement, looking downstream. From a simulated rustic fence corner fo...

Painting

South Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: South Hall at University of Wisconsin-Madison, built in 1855 and designed by John F. Rague.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house located at 2709 Sommers Avenue.

Painting

City Hall

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: City Hall, located at 2 W. MIfflin Street, was built from 1856-1858. The architect was August Kutzbock.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Lucien Stanley Hanks house, located at 216 Langdon Street, was built in 1877.

Date: 1858-11-04 ca.

Description: After receiving a request from the German theatre director in St. Louis, Missouri, Holzlhuber took leave from his teaching at the German-English Academy to...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.