.

Photograph

Brisbois House

Date: 1920 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois House, east elevation.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Postcard

Campion College

Date: 1905 ca.

Description: A view of Campion College, formerly the Sacred Heart College.

Photograph

Hotel, Powers Lake

Date: 1925 ca.

Description: Hotel and dining room.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the back of...

Photograph

"Villa Louis"

Date: 1953 

Description: Villa Louis, the mansion of Hercules Dousman.

Photograph

Brew House

Date: 1925 ca.

Description: A view of the Brew house.

Date: 1910 ca.

Description: View seen from Brisbois Bluff.

Photograph

Bluff Street

Date: 1900 ca.

Description: Bluff Street looking east. Pencil notation on this photo; reads "House marked X is my home and is said to be built from stone from Fort Crawford. -A.C."

Date: 1929-01-15 

Description: Intended for tourists, this brochure, titled: "Winneshiek World’s Famous Wild Life Refuge Historic Fort Crawford and Picturesque Prairie du Chien," feature...

Date: 1908 after

Description: St. Gabriel's Church.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1979 ca.

Description: Villa Louis, home of Hercules Dousman.

Photograph

Woman's Building

Date: 1959 

Description: Woman's Building, one of the oldest buildings in the city. It is believed to have been built in 1842 by John Folsom, an early settler and farmer on the hei...

Photograph

French Cemetery

Date: 1953 ca.

Description: French Cemetery, showing the grave of Mrs. Alexander Gardipe.

Postcard

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (1829-1835).

Date: 1960 ca.

Description: Campion Jesuit High School, Lawler Hall, finished in 1955.

Date: 1927 ca.

Description: Military road marker erected in 1927 by Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution at the foot of the old road opposite Prairie du Chien. The road was built...

Postcard

Black Hawk Tree

Date: 1915 ca.

Description: Black Hawk Tree in Prairie du Chien Wisconsin. It was rumored that Chief Black Hawk hid within this tree to escape soldiers from Fort Crawford.

Date: 1907 

Description: View of Praire du Chien Sanitarium.

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.