1 2 3 4 5
.

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view from lawn of the stone facade of St. Mary Academy. The arched main entrance is partially visible behind trees on left. A bell tower sits in the midd...

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Date: 1858 

Description: This map shows streets, lots, and landownership. Also included are notations in pencil and blue colored pencil. Some lots are colored in blue, green, or...

Date: 1873 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over both channels of the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, and McGregor, Iowa. East draw, 396...

Photograph

Artesian Well

Date: 1876 ca.

Description: Stereograph of artesian well, located near the intersection of Wisconsin Street and South Minnesota Street (since renamed Wacouta).

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: One-half stereoview of town, looking northeast from Case's Block.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Drawing

Fort Crawford

Date: 1829 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford, from a sketchbook attributed to Seth Eastman, 1808-1875. A graduate of West Point, Eastman briefly served at Fort Crawford, 1829-1839. ...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

Date: 1848 

Description: The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, with the Mississippi River in the foreground. Although dated 1830, this scene was actually painted by Henry Le...

Date: 1882 

Description: This map is ink on cardboard and shows the location of military forts over the course of years. Also shown are points of interest, streets, the Mississippi...

Date: 1825 

Description: Hand-colored lithograph portrait of Chippewa (Ojibwa) chief Kitch-ee-i-aa-ba, or the Big Buck. Painted at the Treaty of Prarie du Chien (1825).

Date: 1828 ca.

Description: This plat map is pen-and-ink and shows landowners, the Mississippi River, the Marais de St. Friole, Fort Crawford, the town commons, and the Village of St....

Date: 1880 after

Description: A view of Sacred Heart College and the surrounding landscape. Each dormer window has a cross on its peak and the center of the building has a bell tower.

Map or Atlas

Prairie du Chien

Date: 1838 

Description: This map is a development plat that shows street names, numbered blocks and lots, and small farm lot owners. Included on the right of the map is a large a...

Date: 1828 ca.

Description: This map is pen-and-ink and served as the model for the lithograph produced in 1828 by C.B. Graham. Landowners are labeled as is the Mississippi River.

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: This early 19th century manuscript map of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, shows sections, landownership and acreages, roads, and ferries in the towns of Bridg...

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery. Photograph made before restoration by the United States Government. Soldiers' families were also buried in the cemetery.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.