1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1856 ca.

Description: View of Manitowoc from the North side.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Simeon Mills house, located at 222 Monona Avenue.

Date: 1856 

Description: "....The first in their series was not an 'improvement' but a view of the Green Bay settlement, looking downstream. From a simulated rustic fence corner fo...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Governor C.C. Washburn house was built in the 1850's and purchased by Samuel H. Marshall before completion, then by Mr. Ashmead of Philadelphia. Washbu...

Date: 1860-04 ca.

Description: Accompanying this sketch is Hölzlhuber's description of his last foray from Milwaukee before leaving America. "Before my return to Europe, D. Brandis, the...

Date: 1850 ca.

Description: Buildings along Wisconsin River.

Painting

Elmside

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Elmside was built by Peter Van Bergen, a prominent builder of the 1840's, at 302 South Mills Street. The house was later owned by Dr. J.B. Bowen.

Date: 1856 ca.

Description: A watercolor of the Catholic Cathedral in Milwaukee, with well-dressed pedestrians strolling on the street. Hölzlhuber was choirmaster here between 1856 an...

Date: 1857 ca.

Description: Business with Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper took Hölzlhuber to New York, and from there he also visited Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washingt...

Date:  ca.

Description: A watercolor painting depicting the city of Madison circa 1850-1851.

Date: 1862-05 

Description: Topeka, Kansas, when the 12th Wisconsin Volunteers came marching through the town on their way to Fort Riley, May 1863. Watercolor by John Gaddis of E Com...

Date: 1939-09 

Description: Watercolor painting of the Hawley house, also called "The Evergreens" located on Route 4 (junction of Oregon Road and County Trunk D).

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The house built by James McBride at 200 Farwell Drive. The house was later owned by Halle Steensland, Samuel H. Marshall, and Robert M. La Follette.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Date: 1898 

Description: Watercolor painting of Chequamegon Point.

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: The Andrew Proudfit house located at 113 West Washington Avenue.

Date: 1950 ca.

Description: View of Edward C. Berner's ice cream store.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The sandstone house known as Walker's Castle was located in the 900 block of East Gorham Street. According to newspaper articles, it was built in about 186...

Painting

Bashford House

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Bashford house located at 423 North Pinckney Avenue.

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: A full circle panorama as it would be seen from the top of the Wisconsin State Capitol. This painting was based on photographs perhaps taken by Edward Niel...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.