1 2 3 4 5 6
.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Governor C.C. Washburn house was built in the 1850's and purchased by Samuel H. Marshall before completion, then by Mr. Ashmead of Philadelphia. Washbu...

Painting

Eben Peck Cabin

Date: 1891 ca.

Description: The Eben Peck cabin, the first house in Madison, Wisconsin, was built in June, 1837. In 1891 young Isabella Dengel (1878-1904) based this painting of the c...

Painting

Watertown

Date: 1841 

Description: View of Watertown.

Date: 1875 

Description: An artist's depiction of the first State Fish Hatchery (aka Nevin Fish Hatchery, 3911 Fish Hatchery Rd).

Date:  date unknown

Description: Watercolor painting of houses at the corner of 9th and Juneau Streets.

Date:  date unknown

Description: Townspeople fleeing the Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The sandstone house known as Walker's Castle was located in the 900 block of East Gorham Street. According to newspaper articles, it was built in about 186...

Painting

Reid Residence

Date: 1892 

Description: A watercolor drawing by Mrs. James Reid the sister-in-law of William Reid, the homeowner.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the second site, with buildings of 1829-?), on the east bank of the Mississippi River, about 2 miles above the mouth of the Wisconsin River.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: Home of Newell Dodge (1845-1934) Madison alderman from 5th ward, attorney and fuel dealer, 1127 West Johnson Street.

Painting

Yahara River

Date: 1906 

Description: Watercolor painting of the Yahara River at Lake Monona.

Painting

South Hall

Date: 1939 ca.

Description: South Hall, University of Wisconsin-Madison, designed by John F. Rague, and built in 1855 as the second University building. It was used initially for gene...

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Levi B. Vilas house at 521 North Henry Street after the porch and steps were remodeled by Arthur O. Fox, brother of Mrs. William F. Vilas, who purchase...

Date: 1862-04 

Description: Watercolor of the 12th Wisconsin Volunteers marching through on their way to Fort Riley, April 1862. Created by John Gaddis of Company E.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: The Morris E. Fuller House located at 423 North Pinckney Street, built by Napolean B. Van Slyke about 1865. The house was later owned by Fuller and Robert...

Date: 1856 

Description: "Three views in a short space show the peaceful appearance of what is now a busy paper mills center . . . [One of them] is Little Chute, one of the pleasan...

Date: 1882 ca.

Description: The magnificent Newhall House, a hotel that dwarfed the neighboring buildings, opened in 1857. H√∂lzlhuber completed this sketch for the Neue illustriert...

Date: 1856 

Description: " . . . At Grand Chute stood the young settlement of Appleton. Although only a few years old, it already boasted a college, named, as was the village itsel...

Date: 1845 ca.

Description: View of the gorge at St. Croix with a boat and multiple figures visible in the background.

Date: 1938 ca.

Description: House built by Julius T. Clark in 1859, which in 1878 became the home of William F. Vilas.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.