Genealogy-Family History Book Award
The Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society invite nominations of published genealogies detailing the history of Wisconsin families. One award will be given each year.
- Genealogy must have been published in the calendar year preceding the award
- Genealogy must have been published in at least 25 copies
- Genealogy must be at least 50 pages long
- Genealogy must cover more than one generation
- Genealogy must show substantial Wisconsin interest or connection
Nominations will be evaluated by the following criteria:
- The quality and depth of research and documentation (inclusion of more than just names, dates and places)
- Accounts should include activities, achievements and personalities of individuals described
- Attractiveness of presentation and ease of use (do the illustrations, table of contents, index, tables, etc., contribute to the quality of presentation?)
April 1 of each year (postmarked or delivered)
How to Apply
Nominations must be submitted on the nomination form (PDF, 12KB). One copy of the book nominated should accompany the nomination form. Self-nomination is permitted.
Books submitted will be retained for the collection of the Wisconsin Historical Society if a copy is not already in its library. Note: If a copy of the book is already in the collections of the Wisconsin Historical Society Library, indicate that fact on the nomination form; it is not necessary to send a second copy.
Send applications to:
Wisconsin Historical Society
Attention: Jim Hansen
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706-1482
For more information, contact Jim Hansen by email, phone: 608-264-6535, or write the address above.
Awards are initially reviewed by a committee of judges appointed by the Society and then approved by the Awards Committee of the Board of Curators. The presentation of the award will be made at a time and location convenient to the recipient. Books published by the Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society are not eligible to receive awards.
Recent Award Winner
Read about the recent Genealogy-Family History Book award winner.