Wisconsin Historical Society Library
Panorama image of the Library Reading Room taken for the centennial celebration in 2000. View full image
The centerpiece of the interior of the Wisconsin Historical Society headquarters building in Madison is the main Library Reading Room, a huge space rising two full stories. Two broad marble staircases, located at either end of the building, access the Library Reading Room.
The official dedication of the building occurred in the Library Reading Room on October 19, 1900, to an audience of 900 people. The Society's headquarters building remains in its lower campus location on the University of Wisconsin-Madison grounds. Built of Buff Bedford limestone, the 4-story structure is a beautiful example of the neoclassical revival style that was popular at the turn of the 19th century.
About the history of the building