The Wisconsin Record of Antiquities
The first Record of Antiquities was published in the fifth volume of "The Wisconsin Archeologist" in 1906. The record is organized alphabetically by county and by civil township. Each listing contains one or more brief site summaries followed by a footnote indicating their original source. A typical record may read:
“Mounds at Bear Lake.
Reported by J. M. Smith, 1912.”
More records were published in a series of Additions. The first was included as an appendix to the original Record in 1906. Four others were published in "The Wisconsin Archeologist" in 1908, 1909, 1911 and 1925. Corrections to some records may be found at the end of each Addition. The final, or Fifth, Addition duplicates many of the entries published in earlier volumes, and was apparently intended to serve as an updated version of the entire Record.
The Record, in its various parts, serves as a rough guide to material located in the Brown Manuscripts. Researchers wishing to track down individual site references in the Mss can use the appended footnotes following site entries to determine who reported the site to Brown, and when.
However, researchers should be aware of a few quirks in the records themselves. Many of the earliest records resemble the hypothetical example given above. They do not specify particular locations, and may in fact conflate several sites into one record. Secondly, site records may be repeated in later Additions (particularly the last). When the original note card version of the ASI was created, many of these duplicate records were mistakenly given their own site number and card. These records are corrected by OSA staff as they are found.
Location: WHS Library, Second Floor (Location in Stacks subject to change)
Call Number: E 78 W8 W8