25 of 51

The Other Hand

his poster for the European market shows a right-hand binder in the lower left panel. Starting in 1898, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and, later, International Harvester, tried to popularize the right-hand binder, whose cutting path was on the driverís right side. This seemed to be a sensible idea, since the majority of mechanical mowers and reapers also cut on the right, and most horses were trained to turn in that direction. However, many farmers disliked operating control levers with their left hands and the design never caught on.

See similar posters: Variations

Click on image for larger version


Color lithograph, 1913
Printed by Hayes Lithographing Co.
(Buffalo) for International Harvester
 Co. (Chicago)
29.25" x 20"

About the Exhibit | Browse the Posters | Browse by Category | Visit the Museum | Exhibit Home

©  Wisconsin Historical Society