Term: cement industry in Wisconsin
The production of cement and cement products centered around Milwaukee in its early development. Early supplies of cement had been shipped to Wisconsin from manufacturers in New York and Kentucky but in 1875, natural cement rock beds were found along the Milwaukee River. Founded shortly thereafter, the Milwaukee Cement Company was the only producer of cement in Wisconsin and one of the only sources of cement in the Midwest until 1889. The depletion of local supplies by the early 1900s forced its closure. Although Milwaukee was no longer a major manufacturer of cement, the city remained a major center for the distribution of bulk cement products.
View a related article at Wisconsin Magazine of History Archives.
[Source: Wisconsin's Cultural Resources Study Units, Wisconsin Historical Society]