Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Dictionary of Wisconsin History

Or Search Everything...
Search All Terms:

Search All Fields:


Search Results for: the letter 'Y'

Term: Yellow River (Historic Marker Erected 1968)

Definition:

Hwy. 70, 0.5 mi. E of Spooner, Washburn County 

The Yellow River was called the "River Jaune" by early French explorers because of the bright yellow sand on the bottom of Yellow Lake through which it flows. Located in the heart of the "Folle Avoine" or wild rice country, it was one of the first tributaries of the St. Croix to be occupied by the Chippewa who (ca. 1700) in bloody battles drove out the Sioux and established permanent villages on Clam and Yellow Lakes. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, rival fur-traders for the Northwestern and the XY Companies competed fiercely with rum, trade goods and credit for the fur-trade of the Yellow River, Namekagon, Clam, and St. Croix bands of Chippewa Indians. Indian mounds indicate the residences of aboriginal Indians (ca. 300 A.D.) along the Yellow River and on Spooner Lake, two miles northeast of here. Succeeding the Sioux, the Chippewa maintained permanent vil­lages on this lake from the early eighteenth to the early twentieth century.

[Source: McBride, Sarah Davis. History Just Ahead (Madison:WHS, 1999).]

Map It!
Google Map
  • Questions about this page? Email us
  • Email this page to a friend
select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text