Term: Camp Randall
Civil War military training post in Madison, located where the university's football stadium now stands. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp, named after Alexander W. Randall, a wartime governor. Originally comprising 53 1/2 acres and owned by the estate of William D. Bruen, the track was leased to the State Agricultural Society in 1859. When war came in April 1861, the land was turned over to the state as a military training rendezvous and Camp Randall became the state's largest staging point. A hospital and a stockade for Confederate prisoners of war were also located here. Purchased by the state in 1893, the land was deeded to the University of Wisconsin. As a memorial to Wisconsin's Civil War soldiers, a small segment of the land was set aside as a park and the Memorial Arch was completed in 1912.
View historic images of Camp Randall and more information elsewhere at wisconsinhistory.org
[Source: Cultural Resource Management in Wisconsin (Madison: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1986)]